tlug: the pros and cons of under-reconfiguring your kernel

>     Tony> I am glad you had a good chortle looking at my .config file.
>
> That wasn't _yours_, I assume; presumably it was TL's.  There's good
> reason for them to bloat their kernel; but you don't need to.

To set the record straight, that was _mine_, in fact.
Why did I reconfigure a kernel for a laptop and include
such networking components? because I had been following
advice which said, "the default configuration shouldn't
give you any problems; just try changing the processor
setting, turn of the math emulation and maybe tweak the
sound card settings.
since I still don't _really_ know what a lot of the
stuff in the configuration menu means, I thought it was
good advice, even though my kernel would be bigger and
have a lot of stuff that I would never use. For a duffer
who runs into trouble and has to spend hours, days and
weeks learning and fixing things, this sounded like
pretty good advice.
Of course, my current setup is preferable.

My recent trouble is less life-threatening.
Trouble of the week: after quitting Gnome and clicking
"save current setup", then going back into X with startx,
all the xterms wind up in the first desktop. haven't
seen any record or fix for this in the newsgroups.
Sound familiar to someone?

On another note, if anyone needs advice on how to switch
back and forth between two sendmail.cf files (one which
will allow the user to send mail from pine without getting
a 451 "sender domain must resolve" error and one which
will send all the outgoing mail to the host), let me
know; I'll be glad to share my current recipe. Of course,
one day I will have only _one_ sendmail.cf file that
does everything. This will probably occur before Japan's
moves the capital back to Kyoto...

> _Now_ you have a "maiconfu" :) :) :)
> And that's what I like about Linux.

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.