Re: tlug: Fw: Linux Web Server

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Scott M. Stone wrote:

> YMMV, but it depends on the net card you're using -- 2.2.9 has a nasty
> habit of locking up machines with certain ethernet cards in them (seen
> it with 3c905, eepro100, 3c509, and a couple others).

Hikari has a 3c590 -- it's fine.

I have 3c509s and eexpress16s -- they're fine.

> on the linux-kernel digest, many people are complaining about FS
> corruption with 2.2.11.

I've been following it.  Read Alan's responses.

> Also, there is a severe (and currently known) memory leak in the base
> networking code for 2.2.11 which can bring some machines to their
> knees very quickly.

Fixed two weeks ago by DaveM.

This is a far cry from your 'steaming pile of dogshit' allegation.  The
2.2.x series, with one notable exception, has been extremely stable.  One
shouldn't bitch about the quality of a kernel if one isn't running the
kernel (or hasn't been bitten by the bugs reported by third parties).

-- Chris (wileyc@example.com)

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.