Re: tlug: a novice's .config file

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Given that the problem turned out to be VJ header compression (is that
> a (God forbid) Linux problem or on the ISP side?), I don't see

Turning off header compression has long been a standard recommendation
that all ISPs use for people who are having some kinds of connection
reliability problems on Mac or Win platforms, regardless of what kind of
equipment the ISP has or what specific computer/modem model the customer
has, and it often does the trick.

Up until the 2.2 kernel, I hadn't heard about anyone being affected by
this with Linux, but apparently this is now happening.  Has it perhaps
become a Linux problem, or is more likely a compatibility issue between
kernel versions/pppd versions?

Since this seems to be a widespread cross-platform problem, is it even
possible that the underlying problem is in the VJ compression algorithm
itself, or that it is implemented poorly by basically everyone?

Jonathan Byrne                                 Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                            http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.