tlug: a novice's .config file

    Tony> Stephen asked me to show my .config file. if I still have
    Tony> it. Well, I do and here it is. My computer is a laptop,
    Tony> Sharp Mebius A455.

    Tony> * while I have your attention, I have two questions:

    Tony> -- Is there a good word-counting software for Linux? I've
    Tony> been looking but haven't found one yet.

Besides wc, lots of special-purpose applications have their own,
usually in Perl (TeX does, for example, and I think there's one for
HTML---they ignore TeX \macros and HTML <TAG>s).

Given that the problem turned out to be VJ header compression (is that
a (God forbid) Linux problem or on the ISP side?), I don't see
anything below that's really horrible, but there's a lot of stuff in
your kernel that isn't buying you anything, some that is potentially
confusing, and all of it taking up space.

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y                # I don't think you want this
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_TOS=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_VERBOSE=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_LARGE_TABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_NAT=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP=y                            # This can be a pain in the neck
CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP=y                      # unless you do dynamic IP on a LAN
CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG=y                  # This can cause problems sou-desu
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_FWMARK=y
CONFIG_IP_TRANSPARENT_PROXY=y              # On a notebook?
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y                     # Ditto ...

#
# Protocol-specific masquerading support will be built as modules.
#
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_ICMP=y

#
# Protocol-specific masquerading support will be built as modules.
#
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPAUTOFW=m
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW=m
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MFW=m
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTER is not set
CONFIG_NET_IPIP=m
CONFIG_NET_IPGRE=m
# CONFIG_NET_IPGRE_BROADCAST is not set
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y                          # Multicast router? BUWHAHAHAHA!
CONFIG_IP_PIMSM_V1=y
CONFIG_IP_PIMSM_V2=y
CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=y
# CONFIG_ARPD is not set
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y

#
# (it is safe to leave these untouched)
#
CONFIG_INET_RARP=m
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
CONFIG_IPV6=m
CONFIG_IPV6_EUI64=y
# CONFIG_IPV6_NO_PB is not set

#
#
#
CONFIG_IPX=m
CONFIG_IPX_INTERN=y
CONFIG_SPX=m
CONFIG_ATALK=m
CONFIG_X25=m
CONFIG_LAPB=m
# CONFIG_BRIDGE is not set
# CONFIG_LLC is not set
CONFIG_ECONET=m
CONFIG_ECONET_AUNUDP=y
CONFIG_ECONET_NATIVE=y
CONFIG_WAN_ROUTER=m                           # chortle
# CONFIG_NET_FASTROUTE is not set
# CONFIG_NET_HW_FLOWCONTROL is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_IS_SLOW is not set

#
# QoS and/or fair queueing                    # does this have any effect?
#
CONFIG_NET_SCHED=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NET_SCH_CBQ=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_CSZ=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_PRIO=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_RED=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_SFQ=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_TEQL=m
CONFIG_NET_SCH_TBF=m
CONFIG_NET_QOS=y
CONFIG_NET_ESTIMATOR=y
CONFIG_NET_CLS=y
CONFIG_NET_CLS_ROUTE4=m
CONFIG_NET_CLS_ROUTE=y
CONFIG_NET_CLS_FW=y
CONFIG_NET_CLS_U32=m
CONFIG_NET_CLS_RSVP=m
CONFIG_NET_CLS_RSVP6=m
CONFIG_NET_CLS_POLICE=y

#
# Network device support
#
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_PPP=y

#
# CCP compressors for PPP are only built as modules.
#
CONFIG_SLIP=m
CONFIG_SLIP_COMPRESSED=y
CONFIG_SLIP_SMART=y
CONFIG_SLIP_MODE_SLIP6=y

#
# IrDA subsystem support
#
# CONFIG_IRDA is not set                  # Awwww....  Why not?

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.