tlug: re: ppp but not quite

I really, really don't think this is a routing/DNS problem; Tony (and
anybody else with "PPP connection succeeds but TCP connections don't"
problems) should start by rebooting to 2.0.x and see if he has any
luck.  If that helps, rebuilding pppd against the 2.2.x headers is
definitely recommended.  (One of these days soon I'll do that, I just
don't need PPP very much, sorry, so probably not today.)

Routing problems should prevent you from getting anything through; if
ping (an ICMP application) and traceroute (which is just ping on
steroids, read the man page) are working but TCP-based services are
not, it strongly fingers the local TCP stack, not the IP stack nor the
routing/DNS services.

If you are so fortunate to have your /usr/src/linux/.config, why don't
you post it?

Re the current discussion: does *anybody* on this list read man pages
anymore?  Or is everybody reading obsolete pages except the Debian
users?  (Tony is exempted, since he's a TL user and I _know_ their
docs are sugob - both bogus and backward!)

    Tony> I changed it to look like this:

    Tony> domain buenahonda.org
    Tony> domain gol.com
    Tony> search buenahonda.org

The gospel according to `man resolv.conf' (edited for brevity):

       domain Local  domain  name.  Most queries for names within
              this domain can use short  names  relative  to  the
              local  domain.

       search Search list for host-name lookup.  The search  list
              is  normally determined from the local domain name;
              by default, it contains only the local domain name.
              This  may  be changed by listing the desired domain
              search  path  following  the  search  keyword  with
              spaces or tabs separating the names.

              The search list is currently limited to six domains
              with a total of 256 characters.

       The domain and search keywords are mutually exclusive.  If
       more than one instance of these keywords is  present,  the
       last instance wins.

And if neither is present, "domain" will be set by parsing the output
of gethostname().

Ie, your search list is one domain, `buenahonda.org'.  The "domain"
lines are both ignored.  That means that if you specify a name
"ftp.netscape.com" the resolver will try to find an IP address for
"ftp.netscape.com", and if that doesn't work,
"ftp.netscape.com.buenahonda.org".  You should always be able to find
FQDNs as long as at least one healthy nameserver is listed in
resolv.conf.

    Tony> nameserver 203.216.12.3

This is a terminal server IIRC, not a nameserver.  Slows things down
by a few millisecs.

    Tony> nameserver 203.216.4.4
    Tony> nameserver 203.216.4.5

Look OK to me.

    Tony> Here's what happened when I connected with the new
    Tony> /etc/resolv.conf in place;

Actually, what we need is a dump of what happens _after_ the ip_up
script is done.  Like when Netscrap hangs.

    Tony> local  IP address 203.216.8.74
    Tony> remote IP address 203.216.71.201

Jonathan, what is the difference between the terminal server at
203.216.71.201 and the one at 206.216.12.3 (if that actually is a
server)?  Can you at least confirm if they are the same
hardware/software?

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.