tlug: PPP? Ip Masq?

And here I am with Eudora Again ... my dialup connection got screwed.

After some time using Red Hat 6.0 with 2.2.5-15 everything was going just
fine. The problem came when I enabled IP Masquerading in the kernel, for
the purpose of playing with a notebook that a teacher was going to borrow me.

I can connect the ppp0 device without problems, but ONLY fetchmail and
sendmail will work, and veeeeery slow. ifconfig reports a lot of receive
errors in the link. Netscape contacts slashdot.org, but waits for reply
forever.

If i trow the system to runlevel 1, activate the link and go back to 3,
everything works fine, including lynx. But if y start X, only fetchmail and
sendmail work again.

I'm clueless ! What's the deal here? I didn't even installed the ipchains
package, since the teacher went to Okinawa with the Notebook. Actually I'm
running 2.2.11, which I downloaded (complete, not diffs) and recompiled,
without IP Masq, in order to solve the problem. No changes.

It's quite weird. If anyone can help ... or needs more info ... here I am.

As always, thanks a lot.

Jordi S. Bunster

Jordi Suner Bunster
jyorudi@example.com

Buried down in Oita / Kyushu - JAPAN
Without any job, fax or personal phone number.
(And, by the way, almost without Internet)
Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691