tlug: Kterm

    Tony> Two questions about kterm. I am using the kterm from TLJ 4.0
    Tony> on TLC 4.0 (Chinese). It works quite well with jvim,
    Tony> kinput2+canna, kinput2x+atok, etc. But, it gives the
    Tony> following error when invoked usually within xterm or cxterm.

The run-time errors you mention, and the compilation errors, smell a
lot like "compiled for libbarf.so.1 but linking with libbarf.so.2" to
me.  Welcome to a localized distribution.

    Tony> In file included from main.c:286:
    Tony> /usr/include/sys/param.h:29: warning: `NBBY' redefined
    Tony> /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xpoll.h:73: warning: this is the \
          location of the previous definition

This warning is almost surely irrelevant; NBBY is number of bits per
byte.

    Tony> gcc -O2 -fno-strength-reduce     -I/usr/X11R6/include   -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500L -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE   -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO    -DKTERM -DSTATUSLINE -DKEEPALIVE   -c screen.c -o screen.o
    Tony> screen.c:49: conflicting types for `calloc'
    Tony> /usr/include/stdlib.h:476: previous declaration of `calloc'
    Tony> screen.c:49: conflicting types for `malloc'
    Tony> /usr/include/stdlib.h:474: previous declaration of `malloc'
    Tony> make: *** [screen.o] Error 1
    Tony> Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.45421 (%build)

This is pretty ugly.  I don't understand how TL could possibly have
screwed up such that the definitions of malloc and calloc are
different from TLC (^^) to TLJ, but they've evidently done so.  (Well,
actually I do; the only thing worse than an X11 Imakefile include is a
standard include from GNU.)  Or maybe the sources in the RPM aren't
the ones used to build the package....  Of course the KTerm source
code uses legacy hacks for "portability"....

Find the source tree for kterm and try commenting out the line
(screen.c:49) that declares malloc, calloc, and realloc, and add

#include <malloc.h>

in the same place.  I would guess that a lot of problems will go away
once you've done enough[1] rebuilds so that all your programs are
working from the same headers.

Footnotes:
[1]  Wile y C is laughing hard enough to rip his cloak over that one.
Back to your coffin, Sir!  It is broad daylight where this is being
written.

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691