Re: tlug: Good stable Linux Laptop

Practically anything old will probably work, if you're on a budget.
Aging 486 Thinkpads, stuff like that.  I run it on a Dec HiNote Ultra
with a 486-75 and have had no problems.

Newer stuff that seems to work well are Fujitsu and Toshiba
subnotebooks, and I've seen quite a few people running Linux on the Sony
Vaio as well.  I believe there are TLUGgers running all three of those,
so if you have a particular model in mind that you like, you might want
to post it here and check for any known issues with it.  I read
yesterday that Dell is going to ship Linux on its notebooks (can't
remember when this will start), so that's always an option, to.  Too bad
they aren't going to ship *only* Linux  :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne                                 Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                            http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Sam Julien wrote:

> Wondering if anyone can advise me as to which Laptop is good for Linux. Its
> for Linux study purposes, so nothing fancy needed.
>
> If you have a Laptop, that had no Hardware conflicts with Linux, Id love to
> hear from you.

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691