tlug: export DISPLAY / existing nonexisting files

Please forgive a few more newbie questions:

* When using xterm/kterm, etc. in X I occasionally get an error telling
me that the display is not set properly. export DISPLAY=<machinename>:0
seems to fix that, but I haven't found the more automatic fix. What
needs to go in what file?

* I have a Perl script which should run when invoked ..but, I get an
error
message saying the file doesn't exist. "ls -l"  etc. confirms that it
does, exist. some kind of philosophical question at work here?

* I am having problems getting my modem to pay attention.
it appears to be locking up after pppd or minicom is run.

* when running the ifup-ppp ifcf-ppp0 combination in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts (TL4.0, much like RH6.0,
I think), one of the error messages I get is something like
no permission to make /var/run/ppp-ppp0.dev . I've tried
all kinds of chowning and chmoding but haven't been
able to get around that one.
I have a pcmcia slot running now (at last). however, it
seems to be using the IRQ 3 and 4. Is this producing
an IRQ conflict with the modem (ttyS1 at IRQ 3, I think)
and causing the above problem?

Thanks in advance.

*** Newbie solution to another newbie problem.
Anyone had vga display problems trying to get loadlin to run
on the Japanese Windows partition? First, one must
type "us" to set the display to non-Japanese mode.
...he found out after two days of fretting...

             Tony Laszlo  laszlo@example.com (Jiyugaoka, Tokyo)
_/_/_/_/* ISSHO:  http://www.issho.gol.com

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691