Re: tlug: rippers and encoders

Hi,

>I have heard of really fast ripping, like 20 seconds for song >(average 3
>minutes), using Windows software. I suppose Linux can do >the same or even
>better. Also, Windows users claim that the Xing >mpeg encoder is the
>fastest encoder without sound drawbacks.
20 secconds??? That only sounds feasiable if you're dropping the quality
real low. (3 min??? It took around 30 min with my K6-2 300Mhz).  I usually
use BladeEnc when I have time, (Source is available and it's free.)  The
Xing encoder is fast, (15 min or so I think) however there are drops in
sound quality since the upper cut-off is lower than other encoders.
(NOTE:It's been about 6 Months since I've encoded stuff, so my memory might
be a bit fuzzy, but I distinctly remember MP3 encoding taking A LOT of
time).

>Does anyone knows a place to see some benchmarks? Or have anyone >tested
>with some of the software avaliable? (I'm not interested on >Quad Xeon
>performance tests, please)
See above...

Yours,
Austin K. Kurahone

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691