tlug: rippers and encoders

Does anyone have some experience with ripping audio CDs in Linux, and
encoding to mp3?

I have heard of really fast ripping, like 20 seconds for song (average 3
minutes), using Windows software. I suppose Linux can do the same or
even better. Also, Windows users claim that the Xing mpeg encoder is the
fastest encoder without sound drawbacks.

Does anyone knows a place to see some benchmarks? Or have anyone tested
with some of the software avaliable? (I'm not interested on Quad Xeon
performance tests, please)

Quite useful info, by the way. I'll start to rip Larc, Glay, B'z, and
that kind of thing. I'm saving money to make a mp3 player, with leds an
everything.

Thanks in advance ...

Jordi S.

Artificial tears ...
Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691