Re: tlug: programming

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Darren Cook wrote:

> Has anyone tried out any of the the recent IDE's that have come out? I'm
> particularly interested in comparisons with Visual C++; especially the
> debugger.

The interdependence of IDE components is more of a weakness
than a strength, IMHO.  E.g., I might want to use the debugger,
but not the editor.

It's just like a 4GL.  Everything is great as long as you're
doing what they want you to do.  But, as soon as you need to
do something that they didn't plan on or implement yet,
then you're screwed.  They want you and need you to depend on
the IDE.

So, no, I haven't tried any of the recent IDEs.  It seems that
I've gotten too old and set in my ways.

--
David Beutel      "If they have moving sidewalks in the future, when you
jdb@example.com    get on them, I think you should have to assume sort of a

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691