Re: tlug: compiling error - please advise

Simon Cozens wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 09:54:55AM +0900, Tony Laszlo wrote:
> > This code is tested with gcc 2.7.2.x only. Using egcs/gcc 2.8.x needs"
> > additional patches that have not been sufficiently tested to include by"
> > default." See http://www.suse.de/~florian/kernel+egcs.html for more
> > information"
> > /usr/src/linux/include/linux/types.h:11: #error "Remove this if you have
> > applied the gcc 2.8/egcs patches and wish to use them"
>
> Well, this is the crux of it; you're using egcs' gcc compiler instead of
> GNU's one. (I know they're merging soon or something like that.) The `e' is
> for `experimental' which is why some bits of kernel code aren't properly
> tested enough to go with it. Have a look at the web page, apply the patches,
> and remove the error line. If you ignore the warnings, it should build
> happily.

no, not on a 2.0.36 kernel - 2.0.36 specifically will not let you build
kernel-related stuff with egcs, because the 2.0 kernels have some broken
ASM that egcs (correctly) compiles in a broken way :)

Temporary fix is to edit the makefile and tell it:

GCC=gcc -V2.7.2.3

and then build.

--
Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>