Re: tlug: Problem with Sony PCG-N505

Jim Tittsler <jwt-tlug@example.com> wrote,

> On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 06:12:22PM +0900, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
> > I ordered a Sony PCG-N505 note book only to discover that
> > (unlike older 505s) the included floppy drive is a USB
> > device, which spoils may plan to install Linux via Ethernet
> > on the machine, because the kernel on the boot disk cannot
>
> I installed Linux on my PCG-C1 (which also has a USB floppy) by copying the
> entire distribution to my Windows partition (which I had to keep around
> anyway to use the camera)... and then installed from there.

Hmmm, I actually wanted to get rid of the Windows partition,
but you are right, at least I would get Linux on the machine
this way.

Can the installer directly work from a Windoze partition,
ie, suck the CD-ROM image from a Windoze partition.

> You could also presumably create a boot image on your hard disk (with PCMCIA
> net support) and load it... but I wanted the instant gratification way. :-)

Hmmm, yes.

Anyway, great...many thanks.  You gave me back my hope :-)

Manuel

PS: This seems to get an exciting weekend (and I just wanted
    to hack a little bit on one of my projects *sigh*)
Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691