Re: tlug: pine-jp compile problems

Thanks for the tips, Scott and Chris. I'm still not having any success
yet, however.

Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> Precisely where one adds the -lcrypt depends on which rev of linux you're
> building for -- lnx (not recommended) or slx (better).
>
> Add -lcrypt to the imap makefile (imap/c-client/osdep/Makefile, I think)
> under the section that corresponds to the build -- either lnx or slx.
>
> If you're building for slx, change all occurrences of pw_encrypt() to
> crypt() in log_lnx.c, same directory.
>
> Add -lcrypt to pine/makefile.lnx.  The same makefile is used for both lnx
> and slx.
>
> You do not need to do a 'make clean; make' -- in fact, you can't, because
> pine builds are done via the build script.  Run './build lnx' or './build
> slx' from the main source directory.

Hmmm. I wonder if maybe I don't have an outdated or broken
distribution of the pine and pine-jp sources? I can't find any
makefiles for slx, the links in the imap directory that point to osdep
are all broken, there were a couple of other things that looked
different from what you described. I looked around for files that
appeared to be doing the same thing, and changed them -- now I can get
imap to compile building for lnx but it still dies a horrible death
when attempting to compile pico and pine.

What files did I change and how?

/imap/ANSI/c-client/Makefile
( added a line LDFLAGS="-lcrypt" )
/pine/makefile.lnx
( added -lcrypt to the STDLIBES= line)
/pico/makefile.lnx
( added -lcrypt to the LIBS= line)
/imap/ANSI/c-client/log_lnx.c
( :g/pw_encrypt/s//crypt/g )

What am I missing? The version of the source I'm using came straight
from tlug's ftp site, downloaded yesterday afternoon, I think.

Oh, a final, and somewhat un-related question:

How does one replace the japanese man pages and online help with the
original English ones? Am I safe overwriting the japanese files with
the original corresponding files? And do I need to do this BEFORE I
apply the patch? Or do both somehow get installed with pine-jp? (I
don't know, I can't get it to compile yet so I can't find out for
myself...)

thanks much for your help,
john
jseebach@example.com
Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691