tlug: Samba At Last!!!

>>>>> "Yong-Ming" == Yong-Ming Hua <yhua@example.com> writes:

    Yong-Ming> Andrew:
    Yong-Ming> I fought with a similar problem when I needed to set up
    Yong-Ming> printing from an NT workstation via Samba to a
    Yong-Ming> networked printer on our LAN.  The Samba doc

Actually the citation above should be Frank Bennett.  Supercite is a
good thing, it handles that for you.  Only in Emacsen.  :-)

    Yong-Ming> Well I am quite happy with Linux though I am just a
    Yong-Ming> fiddler. Yet those guys in university just insist or
    Yong-Ming> maybe obsessed with the idea of NT's security.  When I
    Yong-Ming> suggest Linux because it is far more flexible and
    Yong-Ming> free!!!(FREE!!!)  while 300 or 400 sets of NT must cost
    Yong-Ming> a loooooooot not only to buy, install, maintain, but
    Yong-Ming> also to fix again and again every time students get
    Yong-Ming> those machine fuc**ed up, they say 'commercial ware is
    Yong-Ming> safe'. Well I don't think so. The thing is those
    Yong-Ming> 'managing people cannot show financial plan with Linux
    Yong-Ming> to the top. That is all. ooops. I must stop here.

Remind your managers that Microsoft does not publish security holes it
finds and fixes; they just go anonymously into those "service packs".
They do their level best to avoid even admitting to demonstrable
exploits as published in Phrack and on rootshell.com.

Also, "no user-serviceable parts" is a great excuse for someone who
doesn't know /. from .COM to avoid doing anything they can be blamed
for---the security they're speaking about may be for their own
reputations, not the software.

BTW, my Institute considered installing Linux rather than Solaris/x86
on 75 dual-boot Windows/Unix=X-Server workstations.  However, we
couldn't spare a full-time staffer to bone up on the configuration.  I
didn't dare volunteer; the senior faculty already is upset with me for
low publication rate.  So we left it to Sun.  Dunno whether they did a
good job or not; but there's a business opportunity for somebody here:

		Security-oriented Linux installations.

That would give your managers a yen figure to quote to the
administration, too.  :-)

Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691