tlug: [ANNOUNCEMENT] 7/10 TLUG Technical Meeting

T L U G - Tokyo Linux Users Group
**********************************

Meeting information:

   Date: July 10 (Saturday)

   Time: 13:00

   Place: Temple University, 8F room 804
          2-8-12 Minami Azabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo
         (map at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html)

   Talk: "High Performance Java
          -- It's Java, Jim, But Not As We Know It."

All Linux users and supporters of open source code and free software
are invited to attend this Tokyo Linux Users Group (TLUG) meeting.
Membership is open to anyone.  There are no membership dues or entrance
fees (we will accept donations to help cover the room usage costs).

At this meeting, Matt Welsh(*) will talk to us about Jaguar, an
implementation of high performance Java in a cluster of Linux workstations.
In his words:

  "The mere mention of Java traditionally conjures images of tortoises,
   molasses, genetic evolution, and other slow-moving entities. Yet
   there's nothing inherently slow about Java; current implementations are
   simply too primitive. While most of the research has dealt with
   improving Java CPU performance, I will describe a system (Jaguar)
   which enables high-speed Java access to networks and I/O for use within
   workstation clusters. In fact, I will demonstrate how Java enables
   systems design approaches which are _faster_ than C. All of this
   is being done in the context of Linux-based workstation clusters
   for supporting large-scale Internet services, with the Berkeley Ninja
   project."

(*) Matt Welsh is a PhD student at UC Berkeley Computer Science Division.
    He is a long-time Linux activist, author of the O'Reilly book
    "Running Linux" and the founder of the Linux Documentation Project.
    He is also a member of the Extreme Linux steering committee.

CD-ROMs
-------
The following CDs will be distributed/auctioned/raffled during the meeting:

* Linux Mandrake 6.0 distribution -- It's a bootable CD, ready to pop in
  and install.

* SuSE Linux 6.1 single disk distribution -- It's an "evaluation version",
  but fully working with no timeout. It differs from the retail version
  in that the single disk doesn't include everything like Star Office and
  WordPerfect8 (and other things that are on the 5 disk set). It comes in
  a nice package with excellent installation directions on it.

About TLUG
regular physical meetings.  Discussions are primarily held in English,
but non-English speakers are encouraged to come and participate.
We especially want to encourage Japanese people to attend and will make
efforts to support a bilingual meeting.

TLUG hosts technical meetings every odd month on the 2nd Saturday, and
nomikai's every even month on the 3rd Friday.

The TLUG home page is available at http://tlug.gr.or.jp

Meeting Place
-------------
(map at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html)

The Temple University Japan (TUJ) Campus is located at 'San no Hashi'
(the street name is 'Sakurada Dori'). The DHC building across the street
has a HUGE four sided sign that says DHC. The 06 bus from Shibuya stops
at Furukawa-bashi, which is a one block walk away from TUJ. TUJ is in a
single big building with a sign out front, right on Sakurada Dori.

Cab drivers will take you right there if you ask for San no Hashi. It is a
15 minute walk from Tamachi, but while it is pretty straight forward, it
needs a map, as there are a couple of jogs in the route.

The 96 bus also stops there, and I think the 92 bus as well. It is a 20
minute walk from Hiro (Just go to Tengen-ji Bashi intersection and head
toward Azabu Ju-ban on Meijidori), or a minimum price cab ride from either
Hiro or Tamachi

Once in the university building, take the elevator to the 8th floor and
follow the signs to room 804.

If you are coming to the meeting, join the mailing list by sending e-mail
to majordomo@example.com including
  subscribe tlug
  end
in the body of the message.  You can get a feeling for what the group is
like by looking at the mail on the mailing list.

For any instructions or info before the meeting:
    Jonathan Byrne ............... 070-5517-9250 (PHS)
    Alberto Tomita ............... 070-5644-3680 (PHS)
    Shigeo Honda ................. 090-4396-0445 (DoCoMo)

We look forward to seeing you there!
---
A.Tomita,Jr.
atomita@example.com
Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691