Re: tlug: NFS filesystems not mounted at boot

mike> Jun 21 02:36:10 laputa portmap: portmap startup succeeded Jun 21
mike> 02:36:10 laputa mount: mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC:
mike> Unable to send Jun 21 02:36:10 laputa netfs: Mounting NFS
mike> filesystems failed Jun 21 02:36:10 laputa mount: mount: RPC:
mike> Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send Jun 21 02:36:10 laputa
mike> netfs: Mounting other filesystems failed

Andy> I think the:
Andy> mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

Andy> is saying that the network is not up yet. That fact that you can
Andy> mount after the machine is fully up, tends to support this.

Thank you very much, this was indeed the problem.

I stupidly did put the `ifconfig' and `route' commands to start up
the network in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

    ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    route add -net 192.168.1.0 dev eth0

and  thus    they   were  not   executed   yet   at   the time    when
/etc/rc.d/init.d/netfs tried to do the  NFS mounts, but after the boot
procedure had finished, the network was up and I could do the mounts.

The correct way to startup the network on a Redhat 6.0 system seems to
be writing information about each network-interface in a file

    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface-name>

On my system there was only one such file:

    mike@example.com /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts$ cat ifcfg-lo
    DEVICE=lo
    IPADDR=127.0.0.1
    NETMASK=255.0.0.0
    NETWORK=127.0.0.0
    BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
    ONBOOT=yes

I added a second one for the `eth0' interface:

    mike@example.com /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts$ cat ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    IPADDR=192.168.1.1
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.1.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
    ONBOOT=yes

The files

    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg*

are read during booting by the script

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/network

and this script starts the configured network interfaces.

By the way, the procedure seems to  be exactly the  same on Redhat 5.2
and Redhat  6.0,  which means  that  I was wrong   in claiming that it
worked before I upgraded to  Redhat 6.0.  Probably the NFS-mounts were
not done during booting on my old Redhat 5.2 system either.

I probably   did a `mount  -a' after  booting and   forgot about that,
because  the last  time I  rebooted this  machine  was already several
weeks ago.

誠に有難うございました。

	Mike

--
Mike Fabian   mike.fabian@example.com   mike.fabian@example.com
Termuehlenweg 2, D-40885 Ratingen-Lintorf, Telephone: +49(0)2102/893130

Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691