Re: tlug: Some problems with RedHat 6.0

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

>  The only other surprising problem that I've encountered is with
>the RedHat-modified useradd program.  This seems to put the password
>into /etc/shadow in the right place, but in _plain text_!  So, of course,
>it's completely unusable.  I expect a few rough edges in 6.0, but this
>seems a bit much.  At least it's not hard to work around.

Try GnomeFTP.  It shows your password in clear text in the status window at
the bottom of the screen  when it sends it to the remote host :-p  The first
(and only) time I used it, several people were watching over my shoulder, so
I had to go and do a bunch of password changing after that  :-(

I haven't experienced the other problems you've mentioned, though.
Gnome-Englightenment has been very stable for me, although something
consistently leaves a core file in my home directly.  Someone else (Austin?)
mentioned this same effect, and it may be that when the screen saver turns
off, it cores.  Anyone else get this?

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691