Re: tlug: A couple of VmWare observations

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

>  I found that tinkering with the memory size in the Configuration
>Settings can fix this problem.  I haven't looked at it exhaustively,
>but neither Win98J nor WinNT will start with, say 41Mbytes of memory.
>They seem to require an even 32 or 64.

I haven't tried it with less than 64 yet, but this is useful info. Thanks.

>Am I missing something, though, or is there no way to move whole files
>back and forth except via floppy (I mean when running on a virtual, not
>a raw disk, of course)?

Again, I have yet to try this, but how about FTP?  Since Windows in the VM
has a separate and distinct IP address from the host (ain't that cool?!
:-)  ) and VMWare is emulating a NIC which has that IP address, you should
be able to FTP between them, or even telnet.  I believe Linux should view
this just like any other FTP connection.  Let me know if it works.

There's probably no way to directly copy from Linux to Win or vice versa,
since the Windows partition is kept inside of a container file.  As with
disk compression schemes, I don't think the OS will be able to look into
that file and directly get data out of it.  A cool feature, though.  On the
machine I set up with it at work, I have an NTFS partition in a container
file on an EXT2 partition :-)

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691