tlug: RH 6 MBR install failure on 13 GB disk

Does anyone know any reason why RH 6 should apparently fail to install a LILO
MBR on a 13 GB disk? The root partition was sized at 256 MB and there were
several other partitions.  After 2 or 3 installs, all of which would never
boot (Boot disk failure errors; no bootable devices were being found by the
BIOS), installing LILO to a floppy made it successfully bootable and
everything else worked.  I know LILO needs to be in the first 1024 cylinders,
but are there any issues regarding large disks in general?

And of cousre, this morning I got to hear a BSD-leaning person say "I
installed open BSD on it and it had no problems at all."  :-p

TIA,

Jonathan Byrne                                   Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                              http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691