Re: tlug: Notebook suggestions/warnings

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, J. Sean Bennett wrote:

> possibly the Compaq 1919.  Does anybody have any feedback on these
> systems, quality, problems etc, or other suggestions??; my main
> concern is compatability with linux (display chips, the Compaq's
> dvd drive) and the proprietary buttons (internet/sound??) on the
> Compaq.

  I just configured a Japanese Windoze Compaq 1915 with English Win
for a friend (fear not, I've set him up with NtEmacs among other
goodies).  It's a real nice machine!

  I know nothing about the Lignux configuration of such a beast, but
I can say: the graphics adapter is _so_ standard - NeoMagic whatever -
that it can't be a problem.  I don't think Lignux supports DVD, but
the drive should work fine as a CDROM drive at least.  I think you can
ignore the proprietary buttons, can't you?  The modem could be a real
problem, though. I don't actually know what's in there, but I've found
internal modems a real pain to deal with under Lignux. You might well
need an external modem to connect.

  Just these hasty observations.  Good luck.

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1. Linux SMP on a quad-Xeon server
2. The Green Frog Linux distribution
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691