Re: tlug: PHT's HA Cluster License

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 09:53:00AM +0900 Christopher Sekiya wrote....

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Adrian D. Havill wrote:
>
> PHT didn't credit the source of the kernel patches (visibly) until they
> were publically bashed for not doing so.

This doesn't seem uncommon these days. I went to the TL 4.0 press conference
(Real Work(tm)) and a similar thing happened.
The speaker (no names, but we all know him) talked about the japanized KDE
and said "the internationalization patch was developped by Mr.... (asking
secretary) Takagi. As you can see, we get the support from outside
developpers." (in Japanese)
The code was never contributed to or made specifically for TL, as had been
implied, but PHT just used it. Of course the GPL permitts them to do so, but
mis-crediting stuff as if it was developped for them is simply wrong.
(PHT later apologized on the kde-jp mailing-list....)

I think this is all the matter a "code of honor", aparently PHT has forgotten
it along it's way as a Linux distributor. (common American business practice?)
About company-stile goes, I'd prefer RedHat (US) over PHT, though the "J"
distros, TL is (far) better then RH5J (which is a big joke). Anyway,
Vine Linux rules as a Japanese enabled distro.

Just my 2 Yen.
--

        Oliver M. Bolzer
        oliver@example.com

PGP-Public-Key: http://www.forest.impress.co.jp/info/win-j/pgpkey.html
PGP-Fingerprint:   0A A5 48 FB FC 72 69 1A  7E 7F 08 34 48 14 C7 77
「愛はその深き闇に光をもたらすことができるのか」
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1. Linux SMP on a quad-Xeon server
2. The Green Frog Linux distribution
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691