Re: tlug: PHT's HA Cluster License

(having fought with a solaris upgrade all day, I'm going home after this
message ...)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Yup.  And that audit provision is just plain insane.  For it to be
> effective, they need to have root ("oh, I'm sorry, the partition where
> our subrosa server logs are kept is not mounted right now").  Idjit
> lawyers.

I'm leaning towards the "that clause is present in the license because the
lawyers thought it was a good idea" interpretation.  I'd prefer to believe
that Cliff isn't that fascist[1].

> And you guys can cut out the BS about MS-style monitoring tools.  That
> would have to be done by a cabal within PHT, I can't imagine that the
> majority of developers there would condone it.

The point I was trying to make is that we _can't_ know how they're
planning to accomplish the monitoring -- we're prohibited from even
thinking about looking at the binary from that perspective.

> I think they're out to pay the current mortgage and add another 1000
> sq ft to the current homestead (that would only take a couple thousand
> licensed nodes, right?), myself, but I can't prove it ;-)

I suspect that they're trying to build up their product line so that they
are more attractive to RedHat for acquisition.

-- Chris (wileyc@example.com)

Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691