tlug: Delete and backspace keys in Gnome

    jb> I'm fairly impressed with Gnome and Englightenment

Did they fix the problems with esound (besides the fact that NAS is a
perfectly usable hack, so why reinvent the wheel)?  Namely the fact
that it sent interrupts by the hundreds per second?

    jb> I had to do some hacking of XF86Config to get both the right
    jb> monitor specs in and at the same time set it up to use a jp106
    jb> keyboard <RANT> you'd think that after all this time,
    jb> xf86config would comprehend the existence of Japanese
    jb> keyboards and that after all this time RH would fix their
    jb> installer so that "Enter your own" for the monitor specs
    jb> really meant that, instead of choosing ranges of numbers that
    jb> fit no monitor I've ever used</RANT>

<shrug> So blow off the RedHat installer and use XF86Setup, like God
intended.

Or maybe it only works right in Debian "potato"?

    jb> Anyway, any ideas on fixing my backspace key?  If you need to
    jb> see my XF86Config let me know and I'll mail it to you.

Use xev(1x) to make sure that the backspace key is sending the backspace
keysym.  If not, use xmodmap(1x) to fix it.  (You'll probably need to
change [kx]term's translations in that case.)  If it's not that, it's
quite possibly that some widget library has weird translations in
effect, but I don't know which it would be.  gtk?  Evidently it's not
Xt, since [kx]term work.  See /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/KTerm
for some examples of how to fiddle translations (I think they're in
there, showing how to connect to kinput2).  Since you want these
translations in effect globally, you probably want to do something
like `*translations: ...' in your .Xresources.  This won't necessarily
work though, if they've decided not to follow Xt in this implementation.

Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691