tlug: Delete and backspace keys in Gnome

Due to a grotesque set of circumstances, I found it necessary to do a
reinstall on my work machine yesterday.  Wanting a peek at Gnome and still not
having a beta CD for TurboLinux 4-J like was promised to me weeks ago (if any
current employees of PHT are reading this and wonder if that's a hint, it is),
I went with the tools at hand and installed RH 6.0 and am now running Gnome,
with some Japanese packages from TL 3.0 installed to take care of that stuff.

I'm fairly impressed with Gnome and Englightenment seems pretty good so far,
too (no grotesque themes for me, though  :-)   ), but one little thing is
nagging at me: the backspace key doesn't work in X apps.  It's fine in
kterm/xterm, but in X only the delete key works (as a forward delete).  The
backspace key it completely dead.

Is this a Gnome issue, or something I need to do to X?  I had to do some
hacking of XF86Config to get both the right monitor specs in and at the same
time set it up to use a jp106 keyboard <RANT> you'd think that after all this
time, xf86config would comprehend the existence of Japanese keyboards and that
after all this time RH would fix their installer so that "Enter your own" for
the monitor specs really meant that, instead of choosing ranges of numbers
that fit no monitor I've ever used</RANT>

Anyway, any ideas on fixing my backspace key?  If you need to see my
XF86Config let me know and I'll mail it to you.

TIA,

Jonathan Byrne                                   Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                              http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691