tlug: charsets and canna (2 questions)

    John> 1) What's an easy way to convert a text file from, say, EUC to JIS?

I usually use Ken Lunde's jconv.  (Well, actually I usually use
XEmacs.)  His utilities are available at something like

      ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/oreilly/nutshell/ujip/source/unix/

    John> I downloaded a couple of packages from the Debian-JP folks,
    John> ack and kcc, that seem to be designed for this purpose, but
    John> the documentation is mostly in Japanese

Did you try `LANG=C man kcc'?  This probably works on a TurboLinux
system.  It might work on Debian.  (Depends on whether the man pages
are supplied or not, Debian's pretty good about that.)

    John> I want to send email and figure it would be safer to convert
    John> to plain vanilla JIS before sending anything.

Don't send anything like that to me; I have an autoresponder that will
mail you fifty-'leven copies of RFCs 821, 822, 1036, 2045, 2046, 2047,
2048, AND 2049.  Each.

Get a program that puts it into MIME format correctly.  Not only do
you need to add

to your mail headers, but you also need to make sure that the
ISO-2022-JP designation sequence is used at the beginning and end of
Japanese and guards any single-byte characters (in particular,
newlines or CRLF sequences).  It's pretty trivial (easy enough to hack
into Lunde's program), but why do it yourself?  Save yourself some
headache and find a way to get your editor to save in that format;
most of them do.

I don't think metamail does this.  Any modern Emacs mailer does, as
does Pine with the Japanese patches (I presume; hell, if you can't
trust wileyc, who can you trust? so be it).  There must be others, but
they aren't discussed in polite society where I hang out ;-)  Sorry
Chris ;) ;)

    John> 2) Anybody know of a place where I can find a list of
    John> keystrokes and what they do for Kinput2/Canna in English?

IIRC, the comments in the source are in English.  They make more sense
than the Japanese docs, anyway.  I only use Canna in Emacs any more;
the arrow keys do sensible things, I suppose you've got space bar and
return down, and the only other thing I find useful is extending and
contracting the bunsetsu (phrase under conversion), which are ^O and
^I respectively in Mule/Canna.

Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691