tlug: beginner networking question

I am interested in the cheapest way to network old machines.  I have
several ether cards, but above two machines do I need a hub?  Is there a
cheaper way around this?  Or are hubs really cheap now?

I am considering using a minimalist distro like Austin's Green Frog to get
some really old 486 machines networked with a Windoze 586 machine mainly
for e-mail and text-only html in a Japanese language environment.

Appreciate any hints, tips, abuses, and constructive criticisms...

Eric S. Standlee
Kashihara City, Nara Prefecture, Japan / Houston, Texas, USA
e-w.standlee@example.com (free except pop)
fwiw3980@example.com <default>
Standlee@example.com (everything free including fowarding and pop)

Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691