Re: tlug: Windoze in a virtual machine under linux

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Rex Walters wrote:

>     http://www.vmware.com/
> Virtual machine software for linux.  Worked like black magic on my
> PII/350 with 128MB or RAM.

  Thanks to Rex's tip, I had a look at this myself.  I am also very
impressed with it.  I installed WindogNT4 with no problems of any
kind at all.

  What I didn't realize at first is that you are not limited to one
Virtual Machine, but can set up as many as you have space for (I haven't
yet looked into whether you can run them simultaneously or not, but
that would just be icing on the cake).

  More good news: Windog98J works just fine, though it was a little
more trouble getting it to boot up.  There's a known issue with EMM386
support in the virtual machine, and this is apparently on by default in
W98J (don't know about w98E), and was causing it to hang after a
(surprisingly informative!) error message.  Safe-booting into MSDOG and
deleting the relevant line of the config.sys file got things  working
just fine.

  For the record this is W98J OSR1.0 being installed on vmware's
Virtual Machine under plain vanilla English RedHat 6.0, which I find
extraordinarily impressive in itself - if a little bewildering for
someone who is still most comfortable in a now-ancient Slackware 3.1
setup.

  This Virtual Machine, though - just Black Magic, like Rex said.
They'll have my $75 before you can say 'reboot'!

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691