Re: tlug: Sony VAIO & apm again

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 03:59:14PM +0900, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
> I run 2.2.1/pcmcia-cs-3.0.8.  However, I didn't compile this
> kernel myself (shame on me ;-) but use the lattest kernel of
> the Japanese TurboLinux distribution

Ok, I decided to abort my debian/potato experiment and installed
RedHat 6.0. Guess what: The standard Red Hat 6.0 kernel works for me!
So either they have some magic .config or recent kernels break
VAIO apm. (It's only the VAIO, the digital HiNote works perfectly).
I'll find out this weekend ;)

> I have a PCG-505EX, which has a Ricoh RL5C465 pcmcia
> controller.  As mentioned ealier, I have trouble with
> CardBus cards, but 8-bit cards work without any problems.
> (The whole system is perfectly stable.)

Same controller here. I don't have any cardbus card.

> BTW, why did you by a 505V?  As far as I understand, the
> only difference to the 505SX is that it has some additional
> video capture stuff.  Is that right?  Is there a price
> difference?

The V "only" has SVGA and 4.3 GB, compared to XGA and 6.something GB.
It's cheaper by about 40k. AFAIK there's no special video capture
HW. Only the standard FireWire.

-Klaus
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691