tlug: ncurses and kterm and japanese characters

Hi!
I am desperately trying to use ncurses to show japanese
characters in a kterm window. Earlier posts in this list on
related subjects led me to believe that this would be possible.

I have a kterm set up so I can get japanese characters (tested!)
and created a simple program using ncurses that prints a string
in a window and exists. So far so good. But now I am completely
stuck. I am browsing all documentation I can find but not a word
about switching character sets or fonts or anything.

Can ncurses do this (display japanese characters)?
Am I on the wrong track here?
HELP!

facts:
  + kterm 6.1.0
  + ncurses 1.9.9e

/Fredric Fredricson (A desperate swede)
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691