Re: tlug: Sony VAIO & apm again

> I finally bought a VAIO 505V and installed Debian. So far so good.
> But now I want to get "hibernation" to work and am looking for that
> PHDISK.EXE file on the recovery CDs (there are two). It isn't there!
>
> The first CD only contains one large .pac file (what's that?),
> the second one contains all the Sony add-on applications, but
> nothing like phdisk.exe :-(

It is a slightly strange order to first install Linux and
then to enable the hibernation partition.  Even if you have
PHDISK.EXE you will have to make room for the partition that
it creates.  PHDISK.EXE is absolutely dump.  It just takes
the fourth primary partition and reserves as much space at
the end of the disk as it sees fit; if this collides with
any of the existing partitions, you get a screwed partition
table.  (How can somebody write such a broken program...)

IMO, the Right Thing is, first run PHDISK.EXE, then use
fdisk to set up the other partitions, and finally, install
Linux.

You should be able to boot DOS/Windows from one of the CDs.
If I remember correctly, there is a (text) menu, which let's
you drop to a DOS prompt before the actual (re)installation
of Windoze begins.  Try looking for PHDISK.EXE from that DOS
prompt.

> BTW, the normal "suspend" seems to work only if I don't have my 3c589d card
> inserted.
> Otherwise I get an oops at resume, followed by a panic (killing idle task).
> I tried that with 2.0.36 from slink and a self-made 2.2.9 with
> pcmcia-cs-3.0.11. Anyway, I'll try to track that down when I have time.

Does the card otherwise work?  Is this a CardBus card?  I
had problems with the CardBus controller of an older 505
model, as the Ricoh controller used in the 505 wasn't (and
probably still isn't) properly supported by pcmcia-cs -
non-CardBus cards work without problems for me.

Good Luck!

Manuel
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691