tlug: japaneese support in linux

I have a question to ask regarding japaneese support in linux.
I am doing work that involves porting windows95 code to RedHat linux(version
5.2,Kernel 2.0.36). The original user interface has both  japaneese and
english character/font. I want to get the same in linux also. My linux
system is japaneese version.
I am building the application using Lesstif( free version of Motif ).How do
I add the japaneese character support using Lesstif/Motif widgets.
Currently, I am using the original japaneese characters used in windows95
and it displays as junk in my application. But the same characters appear
correctly when I open the source file in "xemacs" or "vi" editors. How do I
display japaneese in my application.What are the steps to be followed.

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
Topic: Linux SMP and the Intel SC450NX Quad Xeon Server platform