tlug: microphne doesn't work

Hi,
  I finally downloaded ViaVoice, and trying to use.  I am trying audio setup
guru (audiog), but it says it cannot tell voice from noise.   And I actually
tested cp /dev/dsp <filename> and cp /dev/audio <filename> but no valid voice
file is made.   However, I can play audio file (english.au; Linus Torvalds'
voice) by cp english.au /dev/audio.   So playing works well.   What is the
possible cause?   I don't think the cause is not viavoice.  I am using an
AD1816A based card, and my microphone is correctly connected, and cat
/dev/sndstat says:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux tetsu 2.2.8 #13 Tue May 18 12:05:41 JST 1999 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: AD1816 audio driver

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: AD1816 audio driver

Any help will be appreciated.

--
Tetsuji Rai    Tokyo Japan
PPL 2476457    tetsuji@example.com

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 12:30  place: Temple Univ.
Topic: Linux SMP and the Intel SC450NX Quad Xeon Server platform