tlug: kinput2+canna problem

Hi,

I'm trying to get kinput2 working in X. I actually got it working well
enough to where I could input characters in nvi and at the command line
running under kterm, but then the next time I tried to start X, I
couldn't. At all. I'd watch the server load, and then it would bomb and
drop me back to the command line.

After going through my xinitrc and commenting out lines, I narrowed the
problem down to the line that calls kinput2. I commented it out in my
.xinitrc, and had no problems with X after that. Except that kinput2
still seems to kill my X session off every time. If I go into X, fire up
an xterm, and try to start kinput2 with the same command as in my
.xinitrc, The Server dies instantly, and I'm back at the command prompt.
I've tried sending the standard error from kinput2 to a file, but nothing
is getting written (perhaps because the xterm I'm working in dies along
with X before the shell has a chance to redirect anything). The kinput2 package I downloaded lacked documentation, as far as i can tell. I have absolutely no clue what is wrong.

Any ideas?

information that may or may not be relevant:

I'm using Debian 2.1, mostly, and a 2.0.36 kernel.

$cannastat         #looks ok to me

Connected to unix
Canna Server (Ver. 3.5)
No clients

# from my .xinitrc
# Note that kinput2 is commented out so i can start X
# Keyboard maps
# Map the Windows key to something useful
xmodmap -e 'keycode 115 = F20'
# Map a Kanji conversion key for kinput2/canna
xmodmap -e 'keycode 117 = Kanji '     # mapped to the MS-menu key

# /usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2 -canna &       # kinput2 + canna

exec gnome-session                    # fires up gnome

I also have this line in my .Xdefaults:

*inputMethod: kinput2

and a file called .canna -- both are lifted from craig oda's
linux-nihongo web page.

 (global-unbind-key-function 'japanese-mode)
     (global-set-key "\C-e" 'japanese-mode)

     (global-unbind-key-function 'japanese-mode)
     (global-set-key "\Nfer" 'japanese-mode)
(setq romkana-table "default.cbp")

(use-dictionary
 "iroha"
 "fuzokugo"
 "hojomwd"
 "hojoswd"
 "keishiki"
 :bushu "bushu"
 :user "user"
 )

(set-key 'ichiran-mode "\C-o" '(quit extend))
(set-key 'ichiran-mode "\C-i" '(quit shrink))

(defsymbol

(defsymbol
Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 12:30  place: Temple Univ.
Topic: Linux SMP and the Intel SC450NX Quad Xeon Server platform