Re: tlug: GTK+-1.2.3 undefined ref to .Xsetlocale

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> This is deep dark magic.  It's a good thing Chris isn't here to launch
> a tirade.

I'm on the road, but still sort of in touch.

I won't launch a tirade right now.

> If libc loses (as all libcs currently do for Japanese, at least on
> Linux) you #define X_LOCALE and calls are routed to _Xsetlocale(),
> which uses the X11 subsystem.

Right.  Xsetlocale() needs to exist first.  I 'fixed' this in the original
xf86 glibc binaries by compiling with X_LOCALE defined (this was
determined to be the Wrong Thing, and subsequent binaries have not been
compiled thusly). The right thing to do now is to separate Xsetlocale()
into its own little library and link with that when needed, but that needs
to be done by the user ;)

> Assuming RMS will let him release it ;-)

Release is one thing.  Availibility on ftp.gnu.org is quite another.
glibc-2.1 has been available through sourceware.cygnus.com for a long
time.

RMS shouldn't have nay problems with it from here on out -- the issue was
that glibc-2.1 would only be compiled properly by egcs (excepting sparc,
of course, but that's another rant altogether).  Now that egcs _is_ gcc,
there will be no more friction (yeah, right).

-- Chris

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:30                        Place: TBD
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.