tlug: debian kernel compile problems solved (more or less)

Problem solved. It was the compiler version. I have:

gcc version egcs-2.91.66 Debian GNU/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

So I just switched to something a little less bleeding-edge, and everything worked ok. Haven't tried the patches that Andy H. mentioned yet, but will probably eventually do so out of sheer curiousity. At the moment, however, I now have a nicely working Debian system and renewed confidence in my choice of distributions. Thanks to all for the help.

john
jseebach@example.com

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:30                        Place: TBD
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.