Re: tlug: GTK+-1.2.3 undefined ref to .Xsetlocale

    ash> The _Xsetlocale is being referred to in one of the libraries
    ash> or .o files. Use nm again to find out which. There is an
    ash> option for the linker to get it to tell you what it is doing,
    ash> "-t"

    Steve> This is deep dark magic.  It's a good thing Chris isn't
    Steve> here to launch a tirade.

Actually, I enjoyed his triads. I didn't always agree with them, but
often learned something...

    Steve> If libc loses (as all libcs currently do for Japanese, at
    Steve> least on Linux) you #define X_LOCALE and calls are routed
    Steve> to _Xsetlocale(), which uses the X11 subsystem.

What I don't understand is why _Xsetlocale is in /lib/libc.so.5

Actually, I'm not sure of the format of linux's nm. I see:

/lib/libc.so.5:00031624 W _Xsetlocale

Now I guessed that the W meant that its defined there. There where
lots of "U" in other libs, which I took to mean undefined ( external )
symbols. I checked various man pages, but didn't find anything. I
don't have binutils source handy. I'll have to check later.

    Steve> Some libcs (TL 2.x-J is not one of them according to Ulrich
    Steve> Drepper :( ) are now close to supporting Japanese (they
    Steve> need libwctombs.so in addition to the libc stuff), but as
    Steve> of March they couldn't possibly do it using the correct
    Steve> implementation (= the one that Uli hadn't yet written at
    Steve> the time).  Sooooo....  Watch it, kidz.

I was reading ( ok, decoding, I can't read so well ) an article in
Linux Japan that was talking about adding in libwctombs.so to an
existing system, but I'm very fuzzy on the details.

    Steve> Uli did promise that glibc 2.2 will have proper wctombs
    Steve> support.  Assuming RMS will let him release it ;-)

Why would RMS oppose it?

Regards,

	Andy
Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:30                        Place: TBD
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.