Re: tlug: GTK+-1.2.3 undefined ref to .Xsetlocale

    jb> This seems to imply that it is mandatory to specify this as a
    jb> parameter to the configure script, so I did.  After that, just
    jb> on a hunch/whim/whatever, I ran make clean, ran the configure
    jb> script again without this parm, the ran make again and the
    jb> compile ran OK, so I did a make install and as soon as I try
    jb> building something against the result, I guess I'll know if I
    jb> get to live happily ever after or not.

    jb> So, is it that:

    jb> 1) The INSTALL file has bogus info;
    jb> 2) I misinterpreted what it says (I've met the bogon and it is
    jb> me :-)

Neither, I suspect.  In sane packages, `make clean' deletes
config.cache.  RMS points out, quite correctly, that this makes
config.cache useless for most packages  So most GNU packages keep it
around, risking bogus behavior.

It is a _big_ timesaver if you're building, say, the whole Cygnus
toolchain.  It's just plain dangerous for most packages, though, and
results in confusing behavior.

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:30                        Place: TBD
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.