tlug: Sendmail uncertainties

  Hi,

  Haven't posted for ages and ages, but I wanted to ask about
'sendmail' operation.  I've been using it for a number of years, and I
know it's extremely reliable.  Being somewhat paranoid, though, I usually
run it in verbose mode and eyeball the dialog with the SMTP server as it
scrolls by.  In the normal course of things this generates a dozen or
more lines for a piece of outgoing mail.  Just now, though, I sent off
four messages and saw this:

Running NAA00356 (sequence 1 of 4)
NAA00356: locked

Running MAA00329 (sequence 2 of 4)
<vanheli@example.com>... Connecting to mail.gol.com. via relay...
220 smtp02.mail.gol.com ESMTP Sendmail; Tue, 4 May 1999 13:19:25 +0900 (JST) - smtp!
>>> EHLO tangrending
250-smtp02.mail.gol.com Hello tc-1-115.fukuoka.gol.ne.jp [203.216.104.115], pleased to meet you
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 5000000
250-DSN
250-ONEX
250-XUSR
250 HELP
250 <denismcm@example.com>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT To:<vanheli@example.com>
250 NAA06634 Message accepted for delivery
<vanheli@example.com>... Sent (NAA06634 Message accepted for delivery)

Running LAA00278 (sequence 3 of 4)

Running LAA00285 (sequence 4 of 4)
Closing connection to mail.gol.com.

  The second message looks like it went out normally, but what about the
other three?  There's nothing left in the mail queue, so I presume those
other messages got sent too, but why I am told that sequence 1 of 4 was
'locked' (nothing else was accessing that file or the mailqueue at the
time).  And why were the last two (3 of 4) and (4 of 4) so untypically
laconic?  I hate to resend when it's probably really not necessary, but
it does worry me.

  Any illumination you can offer would be much appreciated.

  Cheers,  Dennis

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.