tlug: Clearing up Cache and Buffer

My XOSView is showing 55M out of 64M RAM as being used. 2/3 of this
is BUFF/CACHE memory. Earlier, I was running quite a few xterms.
I shutdown X Windows, logged as root. Now in X Windows, XOSView still
show 55M RAM used with the same level of BUFF/CACHE occupied. I only
have 4 windows open.

How do I find out what are the memory occupied by dead or exited
processes? Is there an administrative tool to clean up the memory from
dead processes?

Thank you for any info or pointers.

Subba Rao
subb3@example.com
Disclaimer - I question and speak for myself.

Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.