RE: tlug: Japanese keyboard at console prompt

On 21-Apr-99 Jonathan Q wrote:
> I just used Turbopkg to update some stuff in TurboLinux, and it seems to
> have reverted to a U.S. keyboard mapping at the console (I use a jp106
> keyboard).  Running Turboxcfg reveals that it no longer knows about a
> jp106 keyboard map for the console.  Keyboard mapping is fine in X.
>
> Can anybody tell me exactly what was broken here, and what I need to
> track down to fix it?  I've been digging around without success for
> about an hour now.  If this is just a matter of tweaking a file, please
> aim me at it.

I don't know the layout of TurboLinux but on my RedHat system the keyboard
mapping seems to be set up with a call to

loadkeys /usr/lib/kbd/keytables/jp106.map

This is actually done from a script,  /etc/rc.d/init.d/keytable at boot time,
which uses a value stored in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard to determine which map to
load. Presumably this is set up by RedHat's equivalent of Turboxcfg.

David

E-Mail: David Dibben <dibben@example.com>