Re: tlug: simple question: what does ATAPI stand for?

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 04:30:38PM +0900, Tetsuji Rai wrote:
>   Title says it all.   Usually, ATAPI is used for fast IDE cdrom drives, but I
> don't know the exact meaning.  Will anyone tell me?

ATA Packet Interface.  A scheme for extending the originally
register-oriented ATA interface by embedding a means of passing
command packets to peripherals.

It is described in the SFF documents (SFF-8020 for CD-ROMs).  You
can find old versions of the specs in
ftp://fission.dt.wdc.com/pub/standards/SFF/specs

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586

Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.