Re: tlug: Intel Linux on serial console

Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> wrote,

> Somebody just asked me if you could install Linux on a headless machine
> and be able to connect to it through a serial console.  I said, "Duh,
> I dunno."  :-)  They asked me specifically about TurboLinux, but answers
> pertaining to any/all distros that can do this are welcome.  Headless,
> of course, is no problem as long as your BIOS supports booting without a
> keyboard, but I'm curious about the serial console part.

Do you mean do the install via a serial port or (after the
install) access the machine via the serial port?  I don't
think that TL or so let you do an install via a serial
port.  However, technically it should be possible and with a
distro with a more flexibel installation process (eg,
Slackware), it should be possible.

After the machine is up, you can do everything over a serial
port.  This is Unix after all and there has been a time,
where this was the standard way to connect your terminal.
Use getty_ps or mgetty to configure the serial ports for
login (I use this to log from my PDA into my Linux box via a
vt100 emulator on the PDA :-)

Manuel
Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.