tlug: Problems with gcc and gtk on IRIX 6.2

    Alessandro> I work on Indigo 2 with IRIX 6.2. I have a problem
    Alessandro> with the gcc compiler.  I want use the gtk libraries
    Alessandro> for my programs and if I try to compile the examples
    Alessandro> of these libraries I have no problems (for example gcc
    Alessandro> `gtk-config --cflags` helloworld.c -o helloword
    Alessandro> `gtk-config --libs` it's OK), but when I try to link
    Alessandro> some libraries (the audio library) then I have many
    Alessandro> problems. For reference, here is a problem:

    Alessandro> gcc -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/CC -o gtkprova          \
    Alessandro>   -laudiofile -laudioutil gtkprova.o audio.o `gtk-config  \
    Alessandro>   --cflags` `gtk-config --libs` -L/usr/lib32

All of the warnings look normal to me except the first.  (BTW.  Are you
using GNU ld and the other GNU binutils or the IRIX versions?)

    Alessandro> ld: WARNING 84: /usr/lib32/libaudiofile.so is not used  \
    Alessandro>   for resolving any symbol.

ld (any flavor) is order sensitive (objects and libraries must come in
the right order; the order of -I options is significant; the order of
-L options is significant; mixing those three kinds of arguments
doesn't matter, I think; GNU ld also has some other rarer options that
also introduce order dependencies).  I suspect that if you get the
order of `gtkprova.o audio.o -laudiofile -laudioutil' right not only
does this warning go away but so do the `unresolved text symbol'
errors.

HTH

Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.