Re: tlug: KDE, GTK...etc. etc

    >> Is it legal to distribute a GPL'd program that uses Qt?
    >> Probably not.  The licenses conflict.

    Manu> Good questions.  When Qt would become a standard component
    Manu> of a system, I think, you can use the GPL for Qt-based
    Manu> applications on that system, but as it stands, I think, they
    Manu> conflict.

AFAIK this determination is up to RMS.  End of discussion.
Unfortunately.

    >> These are some of the reasons why I use GNOME[1].

    Manu> Me too :-) All these different licenses only hinder code
    Manu> reuse...

Well, of course.  That's what they're for.  Not everybody has the
luxury of developing on scientific grants-in-aid; note that the FSF
made a special dispensation for the Mule code, which is still
copyright ETL even though it is GPL.  The FSF has long pointedly
refused to consider any such arrangement with Sun.

But people who develop for a living want to do so at a profit.  And it
is still an area of active "research" as to what licenses do this
"best."  Heck, even a definition of what "best" might mean is
vaporware at this point.

    Manu> BTW, I think, GTK+ is the more interesting toolkit in the
    Manu> long run anyway.  With Qt, you are basically restricted to
    Manu> develop in C++ (*yuck*), but for GTK+ there are bindings for

It's worse than that; you are normally limited to developing in the
C++ used to build the library.

The technical content that kept this post off advocacy.

    Manu> many different languages.

Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.