RE: tlug: Meeting data?

I know you preferred a private response, but I'd be curious to know what
attendees thought as well, and would like to bring up for discussion the
question of using Japanese in the meetings.

I was disappointed that the presentation of LabView was in Japanese-if
that's satisfactory to most members, that's fine, though I'd like to know in
advance.  Of course I come for more than the presentations, but I'd invited
several friends to come to this meeting because I knew they'd be interested
in LabView, and my previous experiences with their demos (all in English, by
some of their very competent and interesting Foreign staff) has been so
good. Fortunately no one I asked could attend, as they would not have been
able to follow a Japanese presentation. I was planning to leave right after
the demos this time, so I didn't mind leaving a bit sooner when it was clear
I wouldn't be understanding much of the first hour anyway.

Considering that the audience was about 95% non-Japanese, I would have
thought English a better choice for the presentation. There are plenty of
Japanese Linux groups around, and I wonder if a distinguishing feature of
TLUG isn't that we do our meetings and have presentations in English.

We've never defined this point, and it may well be that we don't want to
distinguish ourselves this way. If we will have Japanese presentations, then
I think it would be good to clearly announce the language ahead of time so
people can make decisions about attending, or if the program is slated to
take up the first hour, then those who aren't likely to be able to follow
the Japanese will be able to come a bit late, or know that they may want to
sit out the demo in the snack bar.

I am sorry another commitment took priority and I had to miss the rest of
the meeting, as I wanted to see how the auction/sale went, and would be glad
to hear in the mailing list attendees comments on it.

Steve

Message From Chris
Good morning all,

I'm curious as to TLUG meeting attendee reaction to last Saturday's
meeting.  I skipped the meeting (obviously), so I wasn't able to evaluate
it firsthand.

Private responses are preferred,

-- Chris

Next Nomikai: TBD
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.
#Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691

Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.