Re: tlug: Wow - spendy.

    Chris> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
    >> Yikes! Is it just me or is that highway robbery?

Welcome to reality.  Custom costs.  Yes, it's a _lot_ of money.  Not
so much more than I would have guessed ($1500) though.

The one thing I object to in their contract as you quoted it is the
absolute lack of warranty.  You pay $2900, they try to recover the
data.  If you get 14 bytes, that's a cool $200/byte.  How nice, we
know that the first file on the tape was "Anshin-kakaku."

    Chris> When someone absolutely, positively CANNOT lose that data,
    Chris> they will usually pay as much money as it takes to recover
    Chris> the data.

    Chris> I think the price is excessive ...

Thinking about going into business, Chris?  I've got some media I'd
pay as much as $250 to get restored (coupla floppy tapes, a 2GB scsi
hdd).

I think it's unlikely that the price is excessive.  They probably have
a lot of equipment to handle a lot of different media, mostly sitting
around doing nothing.  Some very specialized talent, too.

And I bet they will have excess capacity:  most customers will be in a
hurry so it pays them to be able to handle several jobs at once.

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691