tlug: Bash Bug? (or kernel?)

I've been trying to compile Emacs-20.2 under a clean 2.0.36 kernel and
bash 2.02.0(1), and failing for a while.  After various unsuccessful
builds and some frustration, I've tracked the problem down to the
configure script.  Code to work out one's X config has the following:-

rm -fr conftestdir
if mkdir conftestdir; then
  cd conftestdir

This was failing on the change directory part.  Bash was complaining
that "conftestdir" did not exist.  Novel.  A first effort at inserting
a sync (desperate, I know) didn't help.  Changing the line to

  cd ./conftestdir

did work.  It appears bash has a few problems with directories and
paths - there have been reports on the kernel lists of it crashing
when removing the current directory under 2.2.x.

I haven't yet tried out alternative versions of bash.  Has anyone seen
this "cd" problem before?

Neil.

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691