Re: tlug: Compiling a generic kernel??

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Austin Kurahone wrote:

> I'm finalising my small linux system<1> for inclusion on the CDs, and
> was wondering which options would I need to include for the kernel to be
> as generic as possible.

Compile for a 386, include IDE (with generic PCI IDE), add aic-7xxx and
ncr53cXXX, SCSI disk and cdrom, plus ne2k.  That handles about 80% of the
boxes out there ... those who have something that isn't covered there are
SOL.

> The kernel is kernel 2.2.5 + devfs-patch-96 (I might upgrade to 97).

Upgrade to 97.

> Should I just leave them and let who ever is crazy enough to use this
> system in the first place edit them when they install it?

Yes, leave them.

> recompiled some stuff with -O6 (It caused the binaries to grow) and
> installed some more user space stuff.

egcs-1.1.2?  Use -Os.  Optimize for space, which usually means a speed
increase as well (think cache).

> At this moment it's hovering at around 200MB with no X.

If they're crazy enough to use your distro, they're crazy enough to use
XFree86 3.9.  I can provide binaries of 3.9 (no source, unfortunately --
sorry, it's a core decision) if anyone would think it cool.

-- Chris

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691